Friday, February 22, 2013

Say What?!?!

Patois is, in my opinion, a fun, unique, colorful language.  For those of you who don't know, English is the "official" language of Jamaica, but Patois is spoken very widely on the island...there are so many dialects and accents just within Patois...plus you add in the speed with which it is spoken, it can be very difficult to catch even a single word!  Well, for me, at least.  I am getting better at understanding written Patois, but spoken still makes me giggle because I am absolutely clueless.

My first day on my solo adventure, I was taken in a taxi by a friend to Mega Mart (more on that later), and I think my taxi ride was one of my most favorite parts of my trip.  Devon was a great driver compared to some stories I've heard (he even delivered me supper one night!), but it was still a trip (in the groovy sense of the word) and I just sat in the back seat and giggled the entire time.  If you're in Montego Bay and need a taxi, I highly recommend Devon and can hook you up - just drop me a line!

Here is a video clip I just had to take of Devon chatting it up ... I literally sat and giggled because I had no idea what the conversation was about.... Sorry about the weird angle - yes, I am aware that it starts out sideways! - I'm still getting used to my iphone video camera!! haha!!



2 comments:

  1. DWL at your credits at the end hahaha!

    Jodi it's so nice to see Jamaica through fresh eyes. I love how everything is a little piece of entertainment there, even if it's just a taxi ride. You and I definitely need to do that island together one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg Kristi....I had SO much fun in this taxi. Devon was a great driver and definitely not crazy..I have heard some stories of other drivers! haha! At one point, we were turning at a light and we squeeeeeezzzeeeedd through a little space and it was so tight it flattened the mirror to the car...I was DWL!! Devon just reached out and fixed, not phased at all. OMG it was funny! Can you imagine doing that in YYC?!
      I literally felt to full of joy that I could only laugh...I loved every second of it!

      Delete